How many of these Turkish customs have made their way into your life?
1. You take your shoes off without thinking whenever you enter a house.
You might even bring your own slippers with you.
2. You know the names of every shopkeeper in your local area.
… and they know everything about you, including your shoe size and your children’s birthdays.
3. The honking of horns is no longer an irritant.
Now, it’s simply background noise.
4. You’ve stopped looking at the clock
No one else pays attention to the time here, why should you?
5. You are no longer surprised to see portraits of Ataturk wherever you go
In fact, you’ll only notice when you don’t see one in someone’s home.
6. When hungover, you eschew a fry up in favour of tripe soup.
What?! Iskembe Corbasi really seems to do the trick.
7. You ask for a discount when buying anything.
Anything from electrical goods to fruit.
8. You have at least one evil eye in your home
Everyone knows the nazar boncugu wards off bad luck.
9. You’re addicted to cay (tea).
If you have less than three cups a day you start to feel a little funny.
10 ...and you drink it when it’s 30 degrees outside.
Drinking hot drinks to stay cool is just common sense.
11. You’ve stopped hearing the call to prayer
Like car horns, it’s just background noise now.
12. You’re no longer scared to cross the street, insane traffic or not.
Waiting for the lights to change is for tourists.
13. You queue jump like a pro, and don’t complain about others who do the same.
Waiting at the back of the queue is for tourists.
14. You kiss absolutely everyone.
Men, women, old people, young people, the bank teller.
15. You accept certain truths about food:
Soup for breakfast, yogurt with absolutely everything, and of course, cheese and olives for breakfast.
16. You’ve grown a non-ironic moustache.
And if you haven’t, you’re thinking about cultivating one.
17. You’ve started calling older people “aunt” and “uncle”.
...and they’ve started to call you cocugum.
18. You grab a wet hamburger (islak) on your way home from a night out.
The most satisfying 2 Lira meal ever.
19. You turn a blind eye to traffic driving on the wrong side of the road.
Or motorcyclists without a helmet.
20. You say “allah, allah” when exasperated.
And you’ve learned a host of strange expressions.
21. You're addicted to Turkish soap operas.
Murder, mystery and intrigue - what's not to like?
Built on an elevated spot with distant views of the Blue Lagoon, this is a stunning property in Turkey's most popular summer resort Fethiye Ovacik. The villa offers 4 master bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, generous land size and a large private pool. Design is modern with ample terraces and balconies to enjoy stunning nature all around.
Constructed as a new social centre in Bahcesehir, this project boasts an on-site shopping avenue with more than 100 shops for residents to enjoy and is listed today at first call prices for investors to get in before raises in the future.