3.1 million tourists head to Antalya in five months
One of the world’s top tourist destinations, Antalya in Turkey welcomed visitors from 174 countries, which equates to 1.7 million tourists in the month of May according to new data. In the first five months of the year, the number of foreign tourists was up to 19% to 3.1 million in total. The Antalya Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism reported that the city welcomed an estimated 14 million foreign tourists in 2018 and signs are already positive for this record number to be increased in 2019.
Numbers of Foreign Tourists in Antalya
Looking at May on its own, 1.7 million foreign tourists flocked to Antalya in May, with local tourists standing at almost 46,000. In May 2018, Antalya welcomed almost 1.6 million tourists, however, in the first five months of this year, the number of tourists visiting Antalya has increased by 19%. In the period of January to May 2018, there were 2.6 million tourists that visited the city. In the same period this year, data shows the number of foreign tourists in the city was up to 3.1 million. There is also an increase of local tourism by 2% when compared to the previous year, equating to 169,372 local visitors.
Where do Antalya tourists coming from?
From the period January – May this year, tourists from Russia held the top spot. Russian tourists rose by a massive 20% from 805,040 in 2018 to 1.2 million this year according to the statistics.
German tourists stand in second place with 617,354 tourists visiting Antalya. 192,267 tourists from Britain came in third, followed by 164,922 visitors from the Ukraine and 133,956 tourists from the Netherlands.
Making up the rest of the top 10 countries whose populations chose to visit Antalya were Denmark, Poland, Belgium, Lithuania and Israel.
Why are tourists choosing Antalya?
There are various reasons why tourists choose Antalya for their holiday destination. Not only does the city offer some spectacular historical monuments but it also boasts a modern nightlife. Both foreigners and Turks choose to visit Antalya as it is a truly serene location set alongside the Mediterranean Sea.
Top 5 Reasons to Visit Antalya
Research has shown that there are five reasons that always come up top when visitors are asked why they choose Antalya for their holidays. In no particular order the reasons are as follows:
1. Kaleici – this is the old historical centre full of shops, hotels and stunning architecture.
2. Luxury Life – Antalya is made up of two main resort districts. Prices at these resorts are usually all inclusive, giving everyone the chance to experience luxury resort life.
3. Hadrian’s Gate – The famous three arched gates were constructed in 139 A.D. to celebrate the visit of Emperor Hadrian.
4. Koprulu Canyon – Opened in 1973, this National Park in Turkey offers canyons to explore and many swim holes.
5. Duden Waterfalls – Due to a water recycling station these falls drop dramatically over a cliff in the Mediterranean Sea.