Before 2012, Turkey had a strict reciprocity law in place which restricted many nationals from buying property in Turkey unless a Turkish national could in return, buy a home in that respective country.
However in May 2012 a new law was implemented by the Turkish government which lifted a large amount of these restrictions and opened the Turkish property market to nationals of more than 129 different countries. Some rules still remain in place, such as real estate owned by a foreign national in a Turkish town can’t exceed 10% of the town’s land area and a foreign national can’t purchase more than 300,000sqm of land in Turkey without first acquiring approval from the ministry of interior in Turkey.
We will break down the following lists of foreign nationals who can buy property in Turkey:
Who can buy property in Turkey?
Citizens from these countries can buy property in Turkey without restriction:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Dominican Republic
- Republic of Cote D’Ivoire
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- Northern Cyprus
- New Zealand
- The United Arab Emirates
- Saudi Arabia
Nationals of these countries cannot buy property in Turkey
- North Korea
Restrictions are in place for nationals of the following countries to buy property in Turkey but can still buy real estate in Turkey
- East Timor
Some regions in Turkey have restrictions for nationals of certain countries buying property in Turkey. However these nationals can still buy property in other regions of Turkey:
Russian and Ukrainian nationals can’t buy property along the Black Sea coast of Turkey.
Greek nationals are not permitted to purchase real estate in the Black Sea coast and some Aegean districts of Turkey
Nationals of 31 countries have some restrictions on the type of property that they can buy in Turkey
- Morocco – no agricultural land permitted
- Egypt – no agricultural land permitted
- Latvia – no agricultural land permitted
- Afghanistan – no agricultural land permitted and they need special permission for other types of property
- Albania – can only buy residential property and office space in Turkey. No other type of property in Turkey permitted
- If you aren't sure whether you're entitled to purchase real estate in Turkey, or whether you require some guidance as to how to buy property in Turkey, don’t hesitate to get in contact with us and we will happily assist you.